Vladimir Mayakovsky is one of the brightest and most distinctive figures in Russian and Soviet literature. His poems inspire, provoke and never leave you indifferent.
Learn about the places in Moscow associated with the poet's name.
Monument on Triumfalnaya Square
The monument on Triumfalnaya Square is far from the largest monument in the Russian capital, but it never fails to catch the eye of passers-by. The creator of the sculpture seems to have caught the most characteristic feature of the poet and his work, and so leaves the viewer in no doubt that this figure is Mayakovsky. He stands, his body half-turned, looking in front of him with confidence, and it seems that as though his famous lines of verse are about to roar over the square.
The monument by sculptor Alexander Kibalnikov and architect Dmitry Chechulin was unveiled in Moscow on 28 July 1958. Now Triumphalnaya, the square then bore the poet's name— Mayakovskaya. The official ceremony was followed by recitation at the monument for the first time, setting up the tradition of Mayakovsky readings. Later, many famous poets and young talents performed at "Mayak’s".
Mayakovskaya Metro Station
The Mayakovskaya Station of the Zamoskvoretskaya Line was opened on 11 September 1938 as part of the second stage of the Moscow Metro. The original project, designed by the architect Samuil Kravets back in the first half of the 1930s, had to be significantly changed due to difficult geological conditions. Alexey Dushkin worked on the final project. As a result, the Mayakovskaya Station became the world's first deep column station, with the hall based on steel columns. It immediately attracted public attention: the project was awarded Grand Prize at the 1939 New York World's Fair.
The station's architecture is very distinctive: graceful arches and oval niches with lamps and mosaic panels based on sketches by the artist Alexander Deineka. All these elements create a feeling of solidity alongside lightness, thereby echoing Mayakovsky's poetry, which is just as powerful and also ethereal. The poet's bust created by the sculptor Alexander Kibalnikov, the creator of the monument on Triumfalnaya Square, is installed at the station.
The Izvestia Newspaper Building
Vladimir Mayakovsky collaborated with many periodicals, but his path to the Izvestia newspaper was not easy. The fact is that Yuri Steklov, the editor-in-chief, did not like the poet's poems and did not want to publish them. The first time when a work of Mayakovsky — the poem "Conference-crazy" — appeared in the newspaper, it was published almost illegally, while Steklov was away, on 5 March 1922. There was a small scandal in the editorial office, but Vladimir Lenin noticed and praised the poetry. After that, Mayakovsky regularly had works published in Izvestia and even received an editor's certificate. In total, the newspaper featured about 50 publications by the poet, including poems, essays and advertisements. Sometimes, Mayakovsky went to the editorial office just to talk to journalists.
The Izvestia Building was erected on Pushkin Square, which was then called Strastnaya, in 1925-1927 with the participation of the famous design engineer Artur Loleit. The constructivist building is a bright point on the architectural map of the central part of Moscow.
Vladimir Mayakovsky's House
This is where the poet lived from 1926 to 1930. Osip and Lilya Brik also moved here. Apartment No. 5 immediately became an important centre of the cultural and literary life of Moscow. Here one could meet Boris Pasternak, Sergei Eisenstein, Vsevolod Meyerhold. Mayakovsky's house was visited by Diego Rivera, Theodore Dreiser and many other prominent people of that time. It became the headquarters of the creative association "LEF" — "The Left Front of the Arts", which was led by Mayakovsky.
After the poet's death, a memorial museum was opened in this house, and Gendrikov Lane was renamed Mayakovsky Lane. The house museum existed for several decades and was very popular among the city residents. In 1974, the museum was moved to Serov Passage (now Lubyansky Passage).
The Mosselprom Building
The building in Kalashny Lane was called the first Soviet skyscraper. This structure is an important monument of constructivist architecture of the early 20th century. It was erected according to the design of Nikolai Strukov in a very short time, which resulted in a fault and the collapse of one of the walls. In 1923-1925, two more floors were added as storage and offices for Mosselprom (the Moscow Rural Cooperative Administration).
To decorate the building in the corporate style, Mosselprom consulted the creative association "LEF", whose members were poets and avant-garde artists. Alexander Rodchenko worked on the design, and Vladimir Mayakovsky created the advertising texts. The poet wrote the catchiest slogan "Nowhere except in Mosselprom!" and composed many other advertising couplets for Mosselprom.
The Vladimir Mayakovsky Museum
Communal flat No. 12 in building No. 3 in Lubyansky Passage (until 1994, Serov Passage) became Mayakovsky's first own accomodation in Moscow: before that, the poet lived in the hotels of Moscow and Petersburg (Petrograd) for several years. Mayakovsky spent 11 years in this flat. Here he worked on many of his projects, including "ROSTA Windows satire".
Since 1974, the building in Lubyanka has been home to the Mayakovsky State Museum, which boasts a large collection of the poet's personal documents, photographs, books, and artwork by Mayakovsky and his contemporaries. Currently, the main building of the Museum is undergoing major repairs. It is planned to reopen for the 130th anniversary of the poet's birth, in 2023.
The Mayakovsky Theatre
The house on the corner of Bolshaya Nikitskaya Street and Maly Kislovsky Lane has a long theatrical history. In the early 19th century, it was rented as the offices of the Moscow branch of the Theatrical Directorate, and later hosted a theatre founded by the German Georg Paradise (Paradise Theatre, German Theatre). In the early 20th century, the theatre was renamed Internationale, then the Revolution Theatre, the Moscow Drama Theatre, and in 1954 it was named after Vladimir Mayakovsky.
The red-brick building in the pseudo-Russian style, which is occupied by the theatre to this day, was designed in the late 1880s by the architect Konstantin Tersky with the participation of young Fyodor Schechtel. At various times, the directors of the theatre on Bolshaya Nikitskaya were Vsevolod Meyerhold, Nikolai Okhlopkov and Andrei Goncharov. The modern repertoire of the Mayakovsky Theatre includes performances based on classical works and the plays of contemporary playwrights.
A huge exhibition space dedicated to the Russian history of space exploration
A tour through a unique diorama complex created by battle painters from Mitrofan Grekov's studio
What is a funfair? It is a celebration, a carnival, fireworks of colours and emotions
From the Center to Outskirts of Moscow
Interesting story one of Moscow streets
New interesting places